This helpdesk article details the Discord permission hierarchy.
For a general overview of the permission system and instructions on where to access these settings click here.
You can also check out step-by-step instructions for the following popular permission settings:
- How do I set up a private server?
- How do I set up a leaders channel?
- How do I set up an announcements channel?
An individual's server-wide permissions are determined by adding up all the allows for roles assigned to that individual along with the allows for @everyone.
Channel permissions start with server permissions as a base. Then, the hierarchy is as follows:
- Apply denies of @everyone on channel
- Apply allows of @everyone on channel
- Sum up all the denies of a member's roles and apply them at once
- Sum up all the allows of a member's roles and apply them at once
- Apply denies for a specific member if they exist
- Apply allows for a specific member if they exist